Borrowing / Self Check-out
Patrons are able to use both the First and Ground Floor Checkout Desks to borrow their materials. We also have self-service stations on these floors that patrons can use to quickly scan out library books. The kiosks include a special de-coupler that even allows self checkout of CDs and DVDs. Please note that you’ll need your library card and PIN to use the self-service kiosks.
Ground Floor – Can be used by children age 12 & younger
First Floor – No age restriction, but internet is filtered
Second Floor – Patrons age 13 and older
You may log in to the computers using your library card or see the second floor reference desk for a guest pass.
We have wifi access on the Ground, First and Second Floors. (Pollard-Free-WIFI). There is no password necessary. PML’s Internet Policy.
The Library has copy machines located on two floors – Ground and Second. There is a $.15 charge per copy. The machines are able to give change for $1 and $5 bills only. All coins except pennies and dollar coins are accepted.
There is no charge for scanning—bring your own thumb drive or borrow ours.
Public printers are available on the First and Second floors. Users can only print from one of our public-use computers or their laptops. (There is no mobile device printing). There is a $.15 charge per copy. The machines are able to give change for $1 and $5 bills only. All coins except pennies and dollar coins are accepted. (Please note that the public service desks cannot give change).
Instructions to print wirelessly from your laptop in the Pollard Memorial Library.
http://10.1.10.50:30044/clientlauncher/ (IN LIBRARY USE ONLY)
- Visit the link above and download the installer for your Windows or MAC laptop.
- When you have downloaded the file, open it to install the LPT:One Print client. You may need administrator privileges to install applications on your laptop.
- Once the Print Client runs, the Floor 1 and Floor 2 printers will be (temporarily) installed).
- You may select these printers from within your application, Microsoft Word, Google Chrome, etc. Open the document you wish to print and select print to see the Floor 1 and Floor 2 printers.
- Just as when printing from the library’s printers, when prompted to do so type in your user ID (this can be your library card number or simply your name, or initials). This ID will be listed in the printer queue so that you can identify your print job.
- Next go to the print-release terminal to select, pay for, and print your document.
- Save the LPT:One Installer you downloaded for using again the next time you visit the library, as the Floor 1 and Floor 2 printers disappear when you restart your laptop
A fax machine is available for patron use behind the Second Floor Information Desk. There is a charge of $1.75 for the first sheet and $1.00 each additional sheet for all US-based phone lines. International faxes cost $3.95 for the first sheet and $3.50 each additional sheet. Faxes must be paid for with a credit or debit card.
The Library does not currently have a service for patrons to receive faxes. There are applications online that allow faxes to be sent directly to a user’s email.
Tax Forms & Tax Assistance
Many common Federal Income Tax forms are available on the Ground Floor of the library starting in January. Other Federal forms are available online at www.irs.gov. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Income Tax forms are available on the Ground Floor of the Library. Other state forms and all state tax form instructions are available online at the Massachusetts Department of Revenue website. All paper forms are available while supplies last.
The Lowell Senior Center provides tax assistance for persons aged 55 and older starting the first week of February. For more information contact the Senior Center at 978-674-1172. Additional resources will be posted as they become available.
Four microfilm readers and one electronic microfilm scanner are located on the Second Floor. Printing is available at $.25 per copy. There is no charge for scanning—bring your own thumb drive.